Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Home Again ...

Go back in time to July, when we first laid eyes on the house that is now our home.  In the basement I fell in love with a table.  A cool, vintage enameled table with loads of character.  Also down there was a cool old Frigidaire refrigerator and an operable range/oven from the fifties.

We got the appliances in the contract, but not the table.  Our realtor attempted to salvage the table for us by placing a "do not remove" tag on it for when the auction company came through and emptied out the house.  Alas, the auction company ignored the paper and took my precious table away.  I was heartbroken and regretful that I didn't specify the table in the contract.  Oh well, I thought.  Que sera, sera.

About a month ago, Jesse's mom went to an auction conducted by that particular company.  She kept an eye out for my wayward piece of furniture, but to no avail.  She even asked Chris, the company's owner, if she remembered the table.  She did, and pointed to a ravaged looking husk of an excuse for a table and said that was the one.  When Carol called and described it, I knew it was NOT the one.  So my hopes were dashed once again.

Until last Friday when Carol called and said Chris contacted her.  She had found the table!  And thank goodness she only wanted $35 for it, because that was my limit.  Yeah, even my hopes and dreams have a monetary limit sometimes.  I made arrangements with Chris to pick it up, and yesterday we brought it home.

Right back where it belongs.  It's now my kitchen island and no longer hidden in the basement.  I think it's great -- for a table, that is.

And now the next item for my treasure hunt:  an accent chair for the living room.  Budget:  $50 or less.  Maybe by Christmastime I'll have it in the living room.

No comments:

Post a Comment