Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Servant

For the last few weeks I've been in a slump.  It seemed that all I ever did was clean up after everyone else and never spend any time on the things that I love to do.

And it was absolutely dragging me down into the pits of despair.

This morning, I feel that God showed me how wrong my attitude has been; and I've made a promise to Him to do better by my family and those with whom I come in contact.

The Bible says, "Serve the Lord with gladness, come before Him with joyful singing." (Psalm 100:2 NASV)  It occurred to me this morning that my whining and complaining were probably not the joyful singing that God likes to hear.  I have become like my children, always rebelling and voicing my disapproval in loud obnoxious terms.

God has given me this family -- my blessing.  And here I am complaining about it.  Shame on me!  The King of Kings came down from Glory to be a servant, so who am I to shun the duty?  Today I will gladly serve my family.  I will pick up random dirty socks on the floor 37 times a day, and laugh at the antics my toddler performs daily instead of being annoyed.  I will look for the joy in everything, and praise my children more than I correct them.

I hope.  That's the plan, and with God's help, I think I can do it.  I know I will have bad days and I will stumble.  I just have to trust that God will stand me up and dust me off, and not have to remind me with a spiritual spanking.

1 comment:

  1. I have to give myself a reality check more than I like to admit. I find myself being tired, and frustrated, and angry that the house isn't as clean as I like or that I never get to do the things I want to do. Then, I realize that the house will never be clean because I would rather spend my time with Matt and Sydda, and that I do get to do things that I like when I am with my family. It is a hard thing to balance, but as long as you build in a day to be pouty and know you are surrounded by love, I think we will all survive. Hell, my mom did and there were 5 of us heathens.

    Leah

    ReplyDelete