Friday, August 3, 2012

DIY Spice Jars

Anyone who knows me intimately knows that I have a slight case of OCD.  I like things to be pretty, in order, and uniform.  Since I am raising five anklebiters at the moment, my limits are pretty much stretched to the max in the order department.  I look for projects that help me streamline my work, are nice to look at, not to hard to finish, and that give me something to do besides sit in a corner, mumbling, rocking back and forth chanting the theme song from Fraggle Rock.

Here's my latest project:  baby food jars into spice jars.  Bonus:  I had a baby food spinner storage-thingy, and I painted that to go along with the whole she-bang.


I started with baby food jars that my friend, Coni, generously donated for the project.  She needed to get rid of them anyway, so win-win.  I washed and thoroughly dried the jars before transferring the spices over.  Also, because of the whole "wanting everything to look uniform" hang-up of mine, I printed labels using Microsoft Word.  Handwritten labels on the tops with a white paint pen would have worked too.


Then I found this baby food jar storage spinner in the basement when I finally got around to cleaning up down there post-construction.  Score!


A can of spray paint and voila!  A spinner that no longer looks like cheap plastic to hold my transformed jars.


And now I have this nifty spinning spice rack on my counter.  When going through my spice cabinet, I chose the ones that I use the most, since I had a limited number of jars.  I still have space for two more jars on the spinner, once I acquire a couple more empties.


This project cost about $2 worth of paint out of the can, and I'll have the rest of the spray paint for future projects.  Jars were free, and I already had the labels sitting next to the computer.

My OCD is satisfied for the time being, and now I need a new project.  :)  And I should say that I got the idea from a Pinterest post, so it wasn't entirely my idea.  I did, however, add the spinner.


No comments:

Post a Comment