Monday, October 4, 2010

The Dilemma of School

I'd be lying if I said I hated sending my kids off to school each morning.  Let's face it.  I love being able to breathe, get some things done, and not have to break up fights every ten minutes.

But I am so very concerned with the issues my kids' generation is having to deal with.  Bullying and teasing have always been a problem in schools, and having suffered firsthand, I don't want my kiddos to have to go through it.  However, I survived and while I don't look fondly on it, I try to view it as a "normal" thing kids do.  Now the age of cyberbullying is upon us, and with the recent suicides from teen victims of cyberbullying, my concern is even greater.

It doesn't take much to make kids feel bad about themselves.  They are going through an intense amount of changes, emotionally and physically, all at one time.  Discovering who they are is a big enough deal, without throwing in all kinds of insanity on top of the pile.  So my here's my question:  is it really worth it?

I am so tempted to homeschool them, but I know what a huge undertaking that is, having schooled Riley at home for a year.  It's hard, both on the parents and the kids.  But then they would not be needlessly subjected to the ridiculousness of children, the meanness, bullying, teasing, foul language, and questionable world lessons taught in schools.

Instead, they would most likely have a crazy mother ... or one even loonier than she already is!

The kids love school now, but they are young.  There will come a day when the road gets a little rocky.  Question is:  what do we do? 

No comments:

Post a Comment