Wednesday, October 13, 2010

How Spoiled Can I Be?

Yesterday the internet and phone -- which connects through the internet -- were down for most of the afternoon and evening.  I am ashamed and surprised at how peeved I became.

How dare they disconnect me from the world?!  Doesn't Mediacom know that I will have to do something else to occupy my time?  Like cleaning, or remodeling the house, or parenting my children?!  Sheesh.

I just sat and stared at the modem for a while, hoping the little green Online line would magically illuminate.  After a while, I got up.  But I hummingbirded the computer and phones all night, and that got me thinking how incredibly spoiled I am.

What the heck did we do before internet, before phone?  Why was I so disgusted with the inability to "connect" with my friends?  Mostly importantly, why was it a priority in my life?

Guess I have some soul-searching to do, but I can see what a spoiled child I've become.  I take for granted the luxuries I possess and forget all the blessings heaped at my feet.  I stare at a pantry full of food and say there's nothing to eat.  I'm warm and cozy in my house, not shivering on a sidewalk somewhere.

So, thanks, Mediacom, for waking me up with a slap in the face.

No comments:

Post a Comment