Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Cloth Diaper Attempt #1

While awaiting my supply order to arrive, I sought out a free online diaper pattern to try for Isaac's cloth diapers.  I'm on a mission to produce a good cloth diaper for less than $5.  

I found this diaper pattern on another blog.  It's a pretty simple pattern that doesn't call for closures of any kind except a pin.  I had a Snappi stretch closure, but it really didn't work for me.  I discovered that next time I will use Aplix or snaps for closures.  But it was a good first attempt.  By no means is it close to great, but it will work once I get my snaps and pliers in the mail.

I used a receiving blanket I already had for the flannel inner layer.  This is a pocket diaper, so it is stuffed with a Chinese pre-fold that I had laying around.

Instead of using two flannel layers and covering with a diaper cover, I chose to use PUL for the outer layer.  Since that is waterproof, it eliminates the need for a cover.


Once it's folded, the suggestion is to use a pin to close it. 
I didn't have a large enough safety pin, so I used the Snappi I had on-hand.  It didn't work for long with an extra-active little boy.

I just love cloth diaper butts!
I learned a lot about the design and construction of the diaper on this first try.  That knowledge should help me create a better one in the future.  So the quest continues.  I just wish the shipment would hurry up and get here!



No comments:

Post a Comment