Sunday, February 6, 2011

I'm Turning Into Memaw

I used to think my grandmother was weird.

photo by ivoryelephantphotography
Most of us kids do, I'm pretty sure.  After all, she would save just about EVERYTHING.  From milk jugs and egg cartons to used cereal boxes.  All these things puts aside to use again.

I didn't understand as a child, but I believe I am beginning to grasp the importance as an adult.  She lived through the Great Depression, a time in this country's history that made or broke a lot of people.  And while they didn't have much in the way of possessions or money during that time period, they became rich in wisdom.  

Now, I look at the cardboard box formerly housing the vanilla wafers and think, "How can I reuse this perfectly good box?"  The easy answer is gift giving, since that is what Memaw uses old cereal boxes for.  Stick a gift in it, wrap it up, and bam!  A gift box.  But I've begun to challenge myself to find additional uses for every day "trash".


PawPaw, Memaw, my Mom and her new husband Bob
Cereal box = magazine holder.


Egg cartons = seed starters or paint trays.


Milk jugs = seed spreader or children's game.

Mayo jar = pencil holder.


The possibilities are endless for the creative mind.  We may not be in the Great Depression, but we are in a terrible recession.  I'm glad that Memaw taught me to see the value in trash, and to cherish the things that I have and not constantly want the shiny new.


I used to think my Memaw was strange.  Now I hope my kids think I'm strange too.  In a good way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment