Friday, January 13, 2012

Dog Hair Dilemma SOLVED!

Having a dog has been quite a challenge to me.  My mother said to me the other day, "How can you not be a dog person?  We had dogs all the time growing up!"  And then I reminded her that I never went around them, never played with them, never touched them.

I'm not a dog person.  And yet, we have a dog.  A dog that sheds ... a LOT.


The Boy is always dragging a blanket around, and it is a natural magnet for dog hair.  It drives me crazy to have to wash a blanket daily, because it's coated -- literally -- in hair.

I made a snarky comment to my husband that I should just pull a blanket around the house to pick up all the stray hair, and then be done with it.

After a little while, I thought back to that remark, and then thought, "Why the heck not?!"



I invented the Dog Hair Mop.  Okay, so there's probably someone out there who figured this out before me.  Sometimes I'm a slow learner.  Sue me.

I took a dry mop that I had on hand for waxing my wood floors.  Since I don't do that often, it usually just hangs on the hook gathering dust.  Then I cut a square of flannel out of an old receiving blanket, wrapped it around the head of the mop, pinned with two safety pins and VIOLA! a dog hair mop was born.

After rushing around the main floor of the house, sweeping and swiping every square inch of my floor, this is how the mop performed.


Wonderfully!

To clean it up, I used three strips of packing tape like a lint brush or a waxing strip.  Laid out the tape on the hair, pulled it up and the hair came away.  The mop is now clean and ready for the next go-round around the house.  When it's dirty, I'll unpin it and throw it in the wash.  Nothing to throw away, and it was all free with stuff I had around the house.

So what do you need to do this on your own?

1 mop-like apparatus (mop, dustmop, Swiffer)
1 square of flannel or fleece, big enough to fold around the head of the mop-like apparatus
2 safety pins to hold it together
some packing tape or a lint brush to clean off the dog hair

That's it.  Now go out and conquer some pet peeves!!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! Our 2 dogs shed like crazy and the hair is everywhere!!! Yuck! Note to self, "The boys have a new job to do"!!!!

    ReplyDelete