Monday, November 1, 2010

Three Ghouls and a Monster

Ah, November 1st.  I am sooo glad to see your face!  My usual excitement over Halloween was dampened by my older children's inability to choose a costume and stick to it.  In the end we had a scarecrow, a magical princess and a little blue furry monster.  Brooke wasn't the only monster.  Thing 4 went as himself.  Ha!  But he was really good, all things considered.



Things considered being the somewhat lame fall festival at the community center.  We were there for exactly 22 minutes.  The kids just looked at me and said, "That's all?"  Yeah, kids.  That's it.  Against my better judgment we went trick-or-treating around a couple blocks in the neighborhood.  Jesse has told me stories of how big Halloween was up here when he was a child and I had high expectations.  Unfortunately, it seems as though the 'hood is gentrifying, as there were only about five houses with lights on for trick-or-treaters.  By the time we got home, my fingers were frozen, the kids' hands were numb, and noses were doing their best fountain imitations; but they were happy and that's all the counts.  Decent candy haul, or one that will last for a while on my rationed daily issue.

I think next year we'll plan ahead and come up with more creative costumes -- and stick to the plan.  None of this wishy-washy crud again.  The older girls will be able to help make theirs I hope. 

Now we are excited for November and the Thanksgiving to come.  We'll be with a large group of family this year, and for that we are most grateful.  I'll be missing my Texas/Louisiana crew, no doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment