Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Winter is A'Knockin'

I can honestly say that I thought I was prepared for a Minnesota winter.  And I still think that.  But it got way colder much sooner than I thought it would.  November has seen about 6"-8" of snow accumulation so far, and we've already hit subzero lows at night.  How incredibly thankful was I that it was 22 degrees outside this morning!

Jesse got the snowblower running ... finally.  It was a gift from his dad, but we knew it wasn't in the best shape.  Two new tires, and a clean carburetor later, Jesse was able to clear the walkways without any big hitches.
Growing up in Texas, I never imagined that I would choose to spend my adult life living in the frozen tundra of northern Minnesota.  But I guess that's misleading.  It does get warm for a few months out of the year.  Most people up here are willing to accept a Texan and call her their own.  But I'm not sure that I will feel like a resident until I survive my first winter season.  I open my mouth and a small amount of my southern accent comes out, causing most of people up here to ask, "What did you say?"  And then say, "You're not from Minnesota, are you." 

Nope.  But my kids will be.  After all, they've never lived in a state longer than three years.  Two of them were born in Texas, one in California and one in Virginia.  It will be nice to put down roots.  Most likely my kids will say "flag" and it will rhyme with "beg".  Or they'll say "eh" a lot at the end of all their sentences.  You betcha.

Riley and Savvy are getting used to suiting up to go to school.  Hats, mittens, snowpants and a snow coat are standard gear.  They tote shoes to school in their backpacks and hang snowpants in lockers.  Wouldn't that have been a site to see in Pollok, Texas?

A white Christmas is almost a guarantee, but not quite.  The folks up here did have a brown Christmas a few years ago.  And it's hard to believe that Christmas is almost upon us again. Isaac will turn one year old on December 1, and Jesse has a birthday on the 16th.  Doesn't seem like a year has gone by since I had Isaac, but he is turning into a toddler already.  He say a few words:  Momma, Dadda, da-du (thank you) and elly (belly).  He's mischievous, rambunctious, whiny and into everything.  Climbing is his new accomplishment, so the ottoman, coffee table and footstool have been moved.  It will be interesting to see how he does with the Christmas tree.  That oughta be fun! 



Brooke ... well, Brooke is Brooke.  Naughty, hilarious, precarious Brooke.  Jokester extraordinaire who can be as sweet as sweet can be, and completely rotten two minutes later.  She loves swiping her sisters' things and dressing up.  Lately, she likes to put both of her feet into one leg of my pants and be a mermaid.

As chaotic as life has been lately, I wouldn't trade it for anything.  That said, a couple minutes peace and quiet would be wonderful!


"Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 
~1 Thessalonians 5: 16-18




No comments:

Post a Comment