Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Pursuit of (Chore) Happiness

Every day is a battle in this house.  Just one day I'd like to have my children joyfully and willingly do their chores, without whine or complaint, rolled eyes or barely veiled malice.  ONE DAY!

But until I am blessed with self-parenting children, I will suffer one day at a time, trying to instill a good work ethic in this heathen little bodies I call my heritage.

They've been assigned chores on a daily basis.  Maybe I exaggerate a tad bit.  The older girls DO their chores, but there is normally a lot of attempted negotiation and complaining along the way.  And as I heard a friend say years back ... I don't negotiate with terrorists.

To simplify things, I thought I'd try out the chore system the Duggar Family uses.  Titus2.com has a chore system called "Managers of their Chores".  It looked like a great way of organizing and breaking down chore responsibility.  And it is ... but WOW.  It's a bit overwhelming.

I took their main idea and made Chorepacks with the clip-on badge they sent in the kit.  I also used the same method they use, with writing down each child's name on each card with a designated time of day in which to do the chore.  Since we already were doing chores with everyone except the little guy, I was able to take the main idea and apply it to us.

So far, we've had the Chorepacks for three days.  Within 24 hours, one of the girls lost theirs; but it was recovered, so no harm no foul.  If I can make it a habit to get those hooligans to clip on their Chorepacks every morning and turn them in every night, we'll be in business.

Maybe I should make one for myself.  Hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment