Thursday, March 24, 2011

Brooke's Easy Smocked Dress

This one is so simple ... a great project for a beginner.  If you can sew a straight stitch, then you can do this one. The material is pre-smocked on the bolt, so you just need to measure out how much you need for the person (wrap it around them or yourself).  I like to add six inches to that just to be sure.



Originally this dress had a green and white polka dot border on the bottom.  I had to trim it to length for Short Stuff, here; instead of throwing the excess away, I made bows and hand-tacked them to the straps on the front.
If you do make this dress, I will caution you that the smocking can sometimes irritate little chests.  I found it's best to have a t-shirt underneath.  The straps are made of white grosgrain ribbon, sealed with Fray Check on the ends.


This one took me about an hour and a half, including stops for wiping bottoms, changing diapers, pulling rocks out of mouths, getting snacks, tending to boo-boos and whatnot.  Just a serged seam in the back, a hem on the skirt and ribbon for straps.  You don't even need straps, but I like them.  For a more finished look, you can add yardage and make straps from the fabric itself.   


Smocked dress material can be quite expensive, but I found mine on sale.  Look online for coupons at RetailMeNot.com.  That's a great site for coupons when you surf and shop.


Total time:  about an hour
Total cost for this dress:  $7.50 

No comments:

Post a Comment