Friday, March 16, 2012

Addicted

I hear that acknowledging a problem is the beginning.  So here goes: I am completely addicted to sugar.  I used to laugh about it, but I am finding out how very serious a sugar addiction can be.

Parents and relatives used to tell me (some still do) that I had Coca Cola in my baby bottles.  It was nothing for me to eat sugar three times a day, for each meal, and for snack time too.  In my later teens and early twenties, I loved going to Shipley's Donuts, loading up with three chocolate glazed and chasing them with a bottle of chocolate milk.

And so on and so forth, until today.  I still feel the need to eat sugar, all the time, every day.  Cookies, soft drinks, you name it. 

However, I've been doing a lot of research into the foods we eat and the foods that I prepare for my family.  Many of the things that we have been taught are okay or even best for us, like vegetable and canola oil, are actually very harmful.  "Enriched" flour is anything but enriched in a good way.  Even the mainstream dairy that we buy in the stores is chock full of bad.

Sugar, however, is one of the major bad guys.  Not only does it add to the waist line and throw our insulin levels way out of whack, but it also feeds certain cancers and inflames our blood vessels catastrophically.

I wanted to share some of the research that I've done with you.  Here are some links to sites with good information.  Some of it you won't believe.  Some you won't WANT to believe.  We can't keep digesting what the government, USDA and FDA tell us are healthy.  Heck, the food pyramid established half a century ago was created by a panel of government officials and no doctors present or consulted.


What Really Causes Heart Disease

Benefits of Eating Grass-Fed Beef and Dairy Products

Too Much Sugar Increases Heart Risks

Dr. Mercola Explains the 76 Dangers of Sugar

Why You Should Never Eat Vegetable Oils or Margarine Again

"Enriched" Flour Does Not Enrich Your Life

The 15 Grossest Things You Are Eating

These are just some of the articles that I've read lately.  I know I risk sounding like a fanatic, but it seems like we should be looking into what goes into our bodies and not just trusting big industry on what they put in or take out of our food.

This mama is taking a stand to overcome my sugar addiction and to not let my family follow my previous example. 

But so far, it's one of the hardest things I've ever had to tackle.

No comments:

Post a Comment