Monday, March 12, 2012

Proud to be Crunchy

It has come to my attention that I fall in the "crunchy mama" category of motherhood.  My first instinct was offense at the term, but I really didn't know what it meant.

"Crunchy" refers to granola.  So a down-to-earth, back-to-basics kind of mom who loves taking care of her kids in the most natural way is crunchy.  Crunchy as granola.

Which I make, by the way, and it's awesome.

And I make my own bread, plant a garden, use cloth diapers, compost, watch very little television, go barefoot and countless other things.  This makes me a crunchy mama.

There is a whole crunchy movement out there that I am a part of and didn't even know it.  And I think that's great!  I'm not the crunchiest out there, but I'm trying harder every day to get that way.

Since our goal is to one day own a small farm, I foresee lots of crunchy in the future.  I'd love to have chickens, but the city ordinances don't allow them here.  I'd love to buy all grass-fed beef and dairy products, and I'm deep in the research in finding out how I can economically obtain them until we can raise our own.  For once I'd love to breastfeed a child, and I'll do my best to nurse Jed once he arrives.

I wear more skirts in the warm weather, but they aren't really practical in the winters up here.  I already teach the kids at home, instead of letting them walk across the street to the public school.  I do use shampoo and soap, but the shampoo is organic and all-natural and I plan to start making my own soaps very soon.  I've learned how to make my own cream soups instead of opening a can, and I want to learn how to render my own lard from locally farmed and butchered pigs.

So, yeah, crunchy.  Heck yeah.  Are you a crunchy mama?  If so, stand proud.  You're in good company.  Now go wash some cloth dipes.

3 comments:

  1. Love this! I am glad you like being crunchy. I for sure wasn't trying to offend since I am crunchy myself. Now if Reagan will finish up the diapers we have (have to use throw aways when she is on an antibotic) so we can use the pretty cloth we have.

    So what can you grow in a garden up north? I need to get mine plotted out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and if you need any encouragement with breastfeeding let me know. I can do that. Reagan by far was my hardest and I wouldn't of stuck it out had she not been #4. Took her a month to learn to latch. Nursing isn't easy to start with but now it is so easy I don't want to start solid foods...oh and I want to make my own baby food this go round.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I'm just now seeing the reply! I can grow lots of stuff in the garden up here. Beans, taters, peppers, peas, cukes, pumpkins, squash, tomatoes, strawberries, just about anything. We just don't have a long growing season. We'll plant in late May and harvest in late August or September.

    And I am DETERMINED to breast feed this next child. Isaac was tongue-tied, but I didn't know it, and he just chewed and chewed for the first month and then I gave up. I may need a shoulder to cry on at the least. :)

    ReplyDelete