Monday, June 21, 2010

VBS Day One: Done!

The day started off pretty good ... we were only 10 minutes later getting in the truck than I planned.  Impressive, in my book.  Of course, when we got to church, it was total chaos.  Show me a VBS that isn't the first day.  Realized last night that I forgot to enroll the kids, and I tried to do it online.  Nope, closed out.  So we had to sign up in person.  This means juggling a toddler and an infant, chucking them in the nursery with a harried worker, and attempting to fill out forms when 20 other parents are doing the same thing.  THEN, and only then, we get the kids into their groups.  Where Savvy promptly has a melt down.  This is sooo not like her, and I'm at a loss as to what to do.  So ... I threaten her.  Probably not the best idea, but I was supposed to be upstairs helping with crafts, and here is my six year old having a quivering fit because she doesn't want to be left alone.

I have to say that I have a really hard time remembering that she JUST finished kindergarten.  Most of the time, it seems that she and Riley are the same age.  I felt so bad for her, but at the same time, Savvy rarely has episodes like this one.  Once she realized that she could either calm down and go with the group or go home, it got a little better. 

Crafts Room was surprisingly easy going.  Lots of good help from several ladies in my Bible Fellowship class.  Thanks to their hard work prepping, most of the craft items were assembled in the weeks preceding VBS.  (Their work, as I was only able to attend one prep session.  Kind of hard towing these four hooligans around.)  I'm hoping tomorrow goes as well as today. 

Day Two project:  Clay sundials.  We're hoping the clay dries and actually STICKS to the disk.

No comments:

Post a Comment