Friday, October 1, 2010

Brain Development Theory

I used to be as sharp as a tack, quick as a snake, and never missed a beat. In fact, if you threw a cliche at me, I could throw it right back atcha.

And then I had four children.

Now, my memory is shot.  I have nervous breakdowns daily, and hardly find it disconcerting that I have done Google searches for straightjackets. In various sizes. 

So that made me think. What is it about having children makes a sane person become certifiably crazy? I think the answer is found in the womb.

Those precious little peanuts start this life with a bang. Cells divide and multiply, organs form, a tiny heart starts beating. And it's in the development that mothers begin to go insane.

Thing 1's artwork ... love it!
It's my theory that developing children not only get their nourishment in utero from their mothers. They also have the remarkable ability to suck one brain cell at a time out of Mommy's head and put it into their own wee little craniums. THAT is where our brains go, fellow moms. In growing our children, our prides, our joys, we lose a little of our own brains in the process.

It's the only answer that explains why I have increasingly become dumb, forgetful, nervous, frustrated and completely crazy. With each child I've lost lobes of my brain.

So maybe by the time my kids are teens and tell me in no uncertain terms that they are smarter than I am, I will know that it is true. But only because I GAVE them a BRAIN.

Yeah, you're welcome, child. Now where are my crayons?

2 comments:

  1. HAHAHA! That's great!
    So how much do those straightjackets cost?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, too much. Duct tape will have to do for now.

    ReplyDelete