Monday, October 18, 2010

If I were a duck ...

Taken from www.alaska-in-pictures.com
... I could fly.  Take wing and kiss the sky, and leave my troubles on the earth by that serene pond I call home.  Or take a dive and look for dinner.  A dinner I don't have to cook.  
If I were a duck, all my ducklings would line up in a row and follow me with nary a squawk.  We would swim all day and the only worries would be a stray fox eyeing us from the shoreline or the coming winter.

In which case I would stretch my wings and fly south, back home to the warmth of sun-baked rocks in December.  I would watch those crazy Texans celebrate Christmas in shorts and tank tops.

If I were a duck, the hurts of this world would roll off my back and slide to the leaf-strewn ground behind me.  I'd get rained on and it wouldn't matter.  A shake of my feathers and the discomfort is gone.

If only it were that easy.  

If only I were a duck.

No comments:

Post a Comment