Saturday, March 12, 2011

DIY Fabric Softener Dryer Sheets

Never before have I looked forward to running out of my Bounce dryer sheets.  Until now!  That's because I made my own dryer sheets.


Here's the scoop:

If you have an old receiving blanket, t-shirt, towel, etc., cut it up into small rectangular sections.  Like a dryer sheet.

Mix 1 gallon water with 1 cup concentrated liquid fabric softener.  I picked up Target's Up&Up lavender scented for around $2.  I scented my homemade laundry detergent with lavender essential oils, so the scents go together.  You can choose whichever scent you like best.  

Mix the solution well, and keep covered when not in use.  My pail is sitting next to the washing machine on the floor under my ugly old deep sink.


Soak a "dryer sheet" section in the solution and wring out.  Toss in the dryer and start the dryer right away.  If fabric softener of any kind sits on laundry too long it will discolor it.

Remove your dryer sheet and wash it with the next load of towels, or however you want to wash it.  I think it prudent to have about 10-15 dryer sheets on hand.  This is because I wash a freakin' abundance of clothing in this house.


I'm thinking a gallon of this stuff will last a while, and with several cups of concentrate on hand I won't be making a mad dash for dryer sheets anytime soon.  


Let me know how it worked for you, faithful followers!




P.S.  See that green container?  That's my liquid laundry detergent concentrate.  I made 5 gallons of concentrate (which equals 10 gallons of detergent) for less than $5!  You can see the recipe for the laundry detergent here.









No comments:

Post a Comment