Thursday, March 31, 2011

Upcycled Laundry Bag

One of the benefits of children growing older is their ability to learn new jobs and take on new responsibility.  It's great that I get to teach my kids valuable lessons they'll need for the rest of their lives ...


... and laundry is a biggie.  


Especially with three girls.  The older two produce mounds of dirty clothes.  Previous solutions were individual laundry baskets and then later, one community basket.  Baskets, stairs and shorter limbs only complicate the problem of getting the dirty laundry to the washing machine in the basement.


My newest idea was to use laundry bags.  Once it's full, they can just roll the bag down the two sets of stairs and drag it to the washing machine.  And then once their clothes are dry, reverse the process.  I had a couple of bags on hand, so no big deal.  Until wash day came and I realized that I needed spare bags for their newly dirty clothes while the others are washing.



How I did it:

I took heavyweight curtain panels, folded it in half right sides together and did two basic straight stitches ... one down the side and then one across the bottom.  I made sure that I stopped before the rod casing at the top of the panel.  Then I threaded some grosgrain ribbon through the casing, finished the edges of the ribbon with Fray Check and tied it in a knot.  Now it's a cinch-sack style laundry bag.



Yet another repurposed idea is to use colorful or seasonal colored curtain panels to make cloth gift bags for giving at Christmastime and other special occasions like birthdays.  Same process as above, just a different purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment