Friday, March 11, 2011

Recycled Napkins

Today's sewing project:  cloth napkins!

I've gotten somewhat adept at the serger, cranky as it may be.  It was the fastest and easiest choice for this project  Of course, I forgot to take a before picture.  

I found a round tablecloth at Goodwill, on sale for $1.50.  Since grubby hands like to pull tablecloths off tables and I don't have a round one, I bought it simply because it was the best material and I loved the pattern.

It was a Martha Stewart Living cloth done in purty a blue and white floral motif.  Using my rotary cutter and cutting mat, I cut 16" squares out of the cloth, taking advantage of as much material as I could.  Cutting squares out of a circle can be a challenge to the mom-bogged mind, as simple as it sounds.

Once the squares were cut, I just serged around the edges.  Used some Fray Check at the corners where I had to cut the overlock loops.

Here's the final results:


There are two napkins that have the big floral pattern, and the other six have the small blossoms only.  I like the way these turned out, and will be on the lookout for more potential napkins when I'm treasure hunting.  
Have a crafty day!

No comments:

Post a Comment